7- 11 October
About the course
This structured studio course is designed to encourage you to paint freely and without fear, with acrylics as well as with materials which work so well with this versatile medium, such as inks, collage and textured medium.
There will be opportunity for experimentation, with simple exercises to get you ‘loosened up’ and thinking creatively. Lots of inspirational reference material will be available, and whilst the subject matter will always be your choice you’ll be encouraged to think less, trust your instincts, and just do it! Topics will include working with a palette knife and collage to create loose, textured paintings and a session on the subject of semi-abstract and abstract painting. There will be constant help at hand, interactive discussions and a final constructive critique.
Aimed at all levels of ability, the course is recommended for those with some previous painting experience rather than complete beginners. As well as being instructive, this course will be about having fun in a creative and relaxed environment, in the best possible surroundings at Shorland Old Farm.
The course runs from 4pm Thursday 7 October to 10am Monday 11 September and includes 3 days’ tuition and 4 nights’ accommodation.
About the tutor
Annie is an experienced artist and tutor, exhibiting her work and holding many regular workshops and courses in the use of acrylics and mixed media. She paints in a spontaneous, loose style and enjoys inspiring others, whether they wish to be freer in their work or to be helped to the next level.
To see more of Annie’s painting style, visit her website at www.anniemonk.co.uk.
If you would like more information about the painting side of the holiday please email Annie directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A selection of acrylic paints which should include the primary colours of red, yellow and blue, plus white and one dark, e.g. Burnt Umber or Payne’s Grey
- A few acrylic inks if possible (a dark blue or brown in particular), although people are welcome to use mine sparingly if necessary. I will have PVA glue and plenty of collage material, but if you wish to bring material appropriate to a particular subject matter (e.g. music sheets/foreign newsprint/magazine article or adverts, etc.) please do so
- Inexpensive flat brushes. Any sizes, but large is preferable for loose work. A palette (painting) knife if you have one; if not I will have them to lend. I recommend a smallish size (say 1″ blade-head height), with ‘diamond’ shape head and sharpish point
- ‘Staywet’ palette or plastic tray/plate
- Any of the following supports (painting surfaces): stretched canvas; canvas board; mount card; watercolour paper. Larger sizes are best for painting loosely
- Kitchen towel/rags
- There are several standing and table easels in the studio for those unable to bring their own
- Old shirt/apron for protecting clothes
All inclusive holiday prices:
£615 resident – single room
£565 resident – sharing a room
£390 non-painting partner – sharing a room
Price includes breakfast with cooked option; lunch; 2-course dinner with coffee after; tuition; use of studio, with tea and coffee available all day.
Painting materials not included.
To check availability, request a booking form, or for more details, email email@example.com, or call Sandy on 01598 763505.